Christopher: So we kick off superfood week with… Steak. It’s super in my view anyway.
Kale is everyone’s favourite superfoods – rich in vitamins A, C and K and full of calcium, iron and with zero fat and barely any calories. Truly super! Kale isn’t the only superstar in this meal though. Shallots , Garlic and Mushrooms are rich in antioxidants, magnesium, selenium, vitamin C and lots more words that none of us really understand. Basically good for you. It’s dinner not a science lesson, it tastes good, looks good and makes you feel good. What more could you want!
This steak salad dish takes: 20 minutes
Two Picanha steaks at room temperature
Eight to ten chestnut mushrooms
Four cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
Six shallots diced
One supermarket bag of kale
Two knobs of butter
1. Heat some oil in a frying pan on a high heat, add one knob of butter and half of the garlic. Season the steaks with salt and pepper
2. Add the steaks and cook to your taste. Should take 3 minutes per side for medium rare, but it depends on the size of the steak. 5 minutes if you’re like Zoe and eat overcooked steak . When you turn the steak make sure to hold for a few seconds fat side down to get a nice brown crisping
3. Leave the steaks to rest for 3-4 minutes
4. In a separate pan on a medium heat sauté the mushrooms and half the garlic with a little olive oil until lightly browned add the shallots and cook until softened
5. Add the kale to the mushrooms and sauté until softened, add more oil if needed. Season to taste.
6. In the pan you cooked the steaks in add the port and remaining butter and reduce by half. Use as a jus
This meal serves:
2 super healthy people
How do you like your steak? Would you use a different ‘superfood’ as a base? Let us know in the comments below.