Christopher: ‘How many dishes do you know with a movie named after them? A beautifully healthy, vegan French peasant dish, containing pretty much all of your five a day. This makes a great starter for entertaining or perfect if you fancy a light dinner.’
This light dinner takes: 1 hour including prep.
One onion diced
Four garlic cloves crushed
Six onions cut into wedges
One courgette halved and cut into thin slices
One red and one yellow pepper cut into small strips
Two sprigs of thyme
A handful of basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Sautee the onion and garlic with a sprinkling of thyme until softened, should take 5 minutes a put in the bottom of a deep oven dish
3. Fry the courgette, peppers and 3/4 of the aubergine individually until golden brown layering onto the dish one by one seasoning with salt, pepper and thyme.
4. Top the fried vegetables with the tomatoes, a layer of basil leaves and the remaining of aubergine
5. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes
6. Give a big stir right at the end and leave to cool for ten minutes
7. Serve with a basil leaf for garnish.
This dish serves:
2 people who do not have room for a big dinner OR four people tucking into a delightfully fresh starter.
We actually had a little bit left over for lunch the next day and Zoë went ahead and added chilli flakes to give it a bit of a kick! Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.