Christopher: Lovely healthy salad… until you realise you are just eating bacon and fried bread 😉 Most importantly for Frisee salad get some Frisee lettuce (we aren’t that fancy).
This salad takes: 20 minutes – but it can be done quicker if you fry the bread instead of doing it in the oven.
Four slices of bacon, diced
Two slices of white bread cut into cubes
One head of romaine lettuce, shredded ( I know, i know should be frisee but I couldn’t find any so we’ve got romaine, okay?!)
Half a cucumber, diced.
For the dressing
The leaves of one thyme sprig
Three basil leaves sliced
The leaves from two sprigs of parsley, roughly chopped
One thing of dill roughly chopped
Eight table spoons of olive oil
Three tablespoons of white wine vinegar
One shallot thinly diced
Two cloves of garlic
One teaspoon of clear honey
One teaspoon of Dijon mustard
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Blend together the herbs, three tablespoons of oil, the vinegar, onion and shallot in a food processor or similar until a they form a rough paste.
3. Pour into a jam jar or similar and add the honey, mustard, three more tablespoons of oil and some salt and pepper. Shake hard and leave to infuse.
4. Place the bread on some greaseproof paper on a baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle over the remaining oil. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
5. Fry the bacon bits until crisp and brown, should take around 10 minutes.
6. Toss together the cucumber, lettuce, croutons and bacon and season further if necessary
7. Serve with a good drizzling of the dressing.
This salad serves:
2 people who put bacon in everything…
Did you like the dressing? It is Zoë’s new favourite!
Looking for a healthier option? Take a peek at our Salade Niçoise